90 days. Plant produces heavy yields of 35-40 lb. (16-18kg) watermelons. The strong, tough rind is light green with darker green stripes and, will resist bruising. The medium red flesh of this variety is very sweet and delicious. 'Congo' has one of the highest sugar contents with sugar tests up to 9.5%. Congo has white seeds. Very popular with home gardeners. Great for market growers! Disease Resistant: Anthracnose
SEED SOWING: Germination temperature 75F-80F. After all danger of frost, in well-drained fine soil, sow 8 to 10 seeds per hill, 1/2-1 inch deep, with hills 5-6 feet apart. Once you see how many seedlings the snails and birds have left you, thin to three plants per hill.
SUGGESTIONS: Watermelons thrive in a sunny, warm location. For early fruiting and to overcome a short growing season, seedlings may be started indoors. At harvest time, tap the watermelon with your knuckles, and if it sounds hollow, it's ripe. To keep the watermelons clean and disease-free, as well as keeping unwanted weeds away, apply 1-3 inches of mulch as the plant begins to vine.
Health Benefits of Watermelon:
1. Watermelon is a natural source of most antioxidant vitamins C and A to protect us from many diseases.
2. It is low in calories and an excellent fruit for those who are calorie conscious.
3. Watermelon is a fruit that is rich in electrolytes sodium and potassium that we lose through our perspiration. It also reduces the risk of dehydration.
4. Watermelon is rich in the B vitamins like Vitamin B1 and B6 necessary for energy production.
5. Watermelon is a good source of thiamin, potassium and magnesium which protect our body from so many diseases.
6. According to a research published by the Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition eating lycopene-rich fruits like watermelon can reduce a man's risk of developing prostate cancer and lowering inflammation that may cause hypertension and heart disease.
Notes: “FRESH HEIRLOOM NON-GMO NON-HYBRID OPEN-POLLINATED USA GROWN SEEDS.” Our seed packets are packed in small clear plastic zippy bags . Global Food Providers is a SEED RESELLER and NOT a professional grower. If you have other seed planting or growing questions, please do your research carefully via the internet or other media before making a purchase. Our seeds are fresh seeds which have been germination tested professionally by reputable suppliers. Please be advised that we have NO CONTROL over buyer's growing conditions. Global Food Providers seed packets are NOT RETURNABLE due to purity, quantity and quality issues. BUYER PLEASE UNDERSTAND. We are NOT responsible for "non-receipt" of seed items that are shown as "DELIVERED" per shipping tracking details.