The Boston pickling cucumber is non-hybrid variety developed in the 1880s.
Boston pickling cucumbers are an heirloom variety known for their continuous heavy yields and resistance to cucumber scale and the mosaic virus. The cucumbers can be used for both sweet and dill pickles and if left to mature further can be used as spears or in salads. The Boston pickling cucumber grows well in most soil and thrives in hot, humid areas where the plants receive full sun. Boston pickling cucumbers can be started indoors approximately 2 weeks before planting or they can be grown directly in the garden 3-4 weeks after danger of all frost. Cucumbers do not like cold air and cold soil.
'Boston Pickling' can be container grown. Provide support for climbing vines.
Days to Harvest: 55-60 days
Light: Full Sun
Growth Habit: Vine
Fruit Size: 3-7" (7.5-18cm)
Optimum Soil Temperature for Germination: 70F (20C)
Seed Depth: 1/2" (1.25cm) deep
Seed Space: 8" (20cm) apart if growing on a trellis or fence
Seeds per Hill: 4-6 seeds
Hill Space: 36" (91cm) apart
Germination: 1-2 weeks depending upon growing conditions
Cucumber Health Benefits:
- Because cucumbers, like watermelons, are 95% water, they keep the body hydrated and help regulate the body’s inner temperature. They also help the body flush out toxins.
- Leave the skin on. The skin contains a good amount of vitamin C, about 10% of the daily recommended allowance. If you do like your cucumbers peeled, the skin can be used to relieve sunburn and mild skin irritations, similar to aloe vera. There is some research indications that cucumbers can stimulate hair growth. Herbalists recommend cucumber juice to reduce puffiness around the eyes and to calm down acne.
- Cucumbers can either relieve acid indigestion and heartburn or cause it, depending on the individual. They are a good source of dietary fiber.
- Because it is rich in potassium and magnesium, it may help to lower blood pressure. Studies by DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) show eating cucumbers can help lower blood pressure by 5.5 points in some hypertension prone individuals when coupled with a diet of low starch and lean proteins.
- Other studies have shown that cucumbers, when eaten regularly, help to regulate uric acid, so it is great for prevention of certain kidney or bladder stones.
Notes: “FRESH HEIRLOOM NON-GMO NON-HYBRID OPEN-POLLINATED USA GROWN SEEDS.” Our seed packets are packed in small clear plastic zippy bags . Global Food Providers is a SEED RESELLER and NOT a professional grower. If you have other seed planting or growing questions, please do your research carefully via the internet or other media before making a purchase. Our seeds are fresh seeds which have been germination tested professionally by reputable suppliers. Please be advised that we have NO CONTROL over buyer's growing conditions. Global Food Providers seed packets are NOT RETURNABLE due to purity, quantity and quality issues. BUYER PLEASE UNDERSTAND. We are NOT responsible for "non-receipt" of seed items that are shown as "DELIVERED" per shipping tracking details.